Wednesday, May 23, 2012

It's the Little Things that Make Me Happy...


If you're a long time reader of this blog, you've read lots about the hidden codes in Word.

If you're new to this blog, you're going to want to learn about the hidden codes that help you troubleshoot a document when it goes south on you. See Hidden Codes

When you copy text from one place to another and you've applied a style--for example, a Heading style, you can select the Paragraph mark to copy the style with the text...or not if you don't want to copy the style too.

When I select text to copy, my options are set so that I select the Paragraph mark automatically. When I don't want to include the Paragraph mark in the selected text, I struggle. I could reset my select options but I like them the way they are for most tasks.

I've recently had someone show me an extremely helpful shortcut. When I select text and the Paragraph mark is selected automatically, I can hold down the Shift key and press the left arrow key once to deselect the Paragraph mark. Problem solved!

I read about shortcuts all the time. Understanding them in a practical way that makes the knowledge useful sometimes eludes me. Since I've written so much about using Word, I thought you'd like to know that I still have lots to learn too...perhaps not the big stuff...but lots and lots of little and extremely helpful stuff like the topic of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment