Saturday, April 13, 2013

Four Generation Chart in Word SmartArt




  1. Click here to download a copy of this four generation chart (Word 2010).  SkyDrive opens. 
  2. Select File, Save As. A Download button appears.
  3. Click the Download button and complete the download to your system.
  4. If the SkyDrive Enable Editing button appears, click it to begin using the form. 
  5. To complete the form, double-click placeholder text and replace it with your personal text. 
Over the past few weeks, I've been trying to create a generational chart as a fillable form and bombing. When you find that you can't do a task one way, it's worth stepping away from the keyboard for a break. Sometimes, you get struck with inspiration.

I don't have occasion to use SmartArt very often. I just don't use that sort of thing in my professional or personal life. However, there are hierarchy charts that bear a striking resemblance to the charts that genealogists use. So I started playing around and I've discovered you can use SmartArt to produce a number of different types of charts, including the one above, which you can download if you're using Word 2010.

Here are a few more charts that I created using SmartArt on the fly.



So now I'm on a learning curve, trying all of the buttons that turn up on the Design and Format tabs of the SmartArt Tools context sensitive tab. I'll try to share what I'm hacking my way thru in an orderly fashion. I'm also going to have to look at how clipart can be used in conjunction with SmartArt

To display these charts, open an MS Word document and make the following selections: Insert, SmartArtHierarchy. A preview of the pre-formatted charts opens. Select one to begin using it. 

Completing one of these charts is kind of a fun mindless task that I'm doing while watching TV. 

No comments:

Post a Comment