Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I Want Control!


Most Word users readily figure out how to select contiguous text; that is, hold down your mouse key and move your mouse to select text. The select skill that isn't so obvious is selecting non-contiguous text. In the sample above, I have non-contiguous text selected in preparation for doing something to the text...apply a style or click the Bold button or whatever. You'll find this skill useful when you copy and paste unformatted text and you need to format the text.

Select Non-Contiguous Text
  1. Using your mouse, select the first text string.
    If you're selecting an entire line similar to the example above, move your cursor past the left margin to change your cursor from an I-beam to an arrow, and then click once to select the entire line.
  2. Hold down the Ctrl key, and select additional non-contiguous text. You can actually select single characters if that's what you need to do. 
  3. Release the Ctrl  key when you are finished selecting, and then apply formatting. 

Over the Next Few Weeks
I'm working on the Florida State Genealogical Society (FSGS) newsletter. I produce three issues a year (February, June, and October). By far and away, the June issue is always the wildest one. The Conference Committee is in the process of planning the November conference and news is breaking by the second. With breaking news, I'm placing, replacing, adding, and deleting all over the place to make sure that each piece shows where it should. The good thing about all this work is that the June issue is usually an interesting one for FSGS members. 

The June issue is also the one that is most prone to being late! So, over the next few weeks, my postings to this blog might be a bit erratic. I'll apologize in advance and I can tell you that I should get back to regular postings in July if you can just bear with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment