Friday, March 2, 2012

Pinterest...adding Pin It button to posts

Some of you may not realize that I also have a research blog (My McKee Family Tree). I've just spent about 15 minutes adding Pin It buttons to the most popular posts on the blog. When a Pinterest user visits my blog and clicks the Pin It button, they can pin my family-related post and get it into the Pinterest stream of info...or I can deal in a bit of shameless self promotion and pin it myself!

To add a Pin It button to a blog post:

  1. Complete your blog post and publish it.
  2. Confirm that you are on the webpage...not the home page of your blog.
  3. Copy the address in the address bar (highlight the URL and press  Ctrl + C).
  4. Go to Pinterest Goodies. (Click About and then Pin It Button.) 
  5. Scroll down the page until you see "Pin It" Button for Websites
  6. In the field URL of the webpage the pin is on, paste the URL of the post  (Ctrl + V). 
  7. In the field Description, type a description of what the button goes to; for example, Walter Thompson Family.
  8. Look in the box below...it has Java code in it that looks similar to this:
  9. Copy the Java code in the box. Highlight the code and press Ctrl + C
  10. Go back to your blog and edit the post (open it up).
  11. Paste (Ctrl + V) the code on your clipboard at the beginning or end of your blog post and update the post. 
  12. View the post and confirm that the Pin It button appears...and click it to pin the post to your Genealogy board if you're into shameless self promotion. 
I'm planning on adding a Pin It button to the end of each of my posts. I'll make it the standard close that marks the end of posts on my research blog.

I have a minor underhanded recruitment plan going...My much younger sister-in-law is following me on Pinterest. I figure that if I selectively pin my own posts, it will be a passive way of involving her in genealogy. My oldest niece is already interested, and if I know my sister-in-law, my niece will be seeing these posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment